Sunday, July 12, 2015

2015 DR Discipleship Trip Day: 8

Location: Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic

Amid a cold night air I was smacked awake as Janie passed my bed tossing me a, "Wake up lazy bones."

Okay, it wasn't so blunt like that, but it was hilarious. She woke me up for the sunrise. It's always gorgeous. The only disruption to our precious quiet morning was the screaming sick noises of a retarded rooster.

I went downstairs and made coffee. Then went on the deck to enjoy the lizards soaking up the morning sunshine. Then went to sit on the couch and play with the guitar (quietly since I was the only one awake). But by this time I was starting to wonder why I was the only one downstairs, when Mr. R comes in to say that Tomás, Josh, and Connor aren't feeling well.

Breakfast was plantains, cheese, and eggs. Yum. Then we start our I Thessalonians Study time. After this was over, Mr. R and Tomás left Andrew in charge while they went to pick up Terri and Jenn from the airport.

With Andrew in charge the fun began rapidly growing. He instigated a picnic hike. Sandwiches, bananas, and water bottles were packed for us. We headed out on our hike with a back pack full of water and a towel for the picnic, a back pack full of sandwiches, and a guitar. When we reached the bridge over the river it was flooded with about an inch of water over it. A few started to cross, and I began, then Janie behind me when suddenly she fell and got pretty scrapped up. It was sad, but since she's a trooper we kept on our marching. We went up a huge hill, then down the other side into the woods to the bottom where we found the river. I stacked some rocks and that was really fun, I'll post pictures when we have better internet. I had the guitar, and it was kind of scary but really epic to hike through a river with a guitar on my back. When we hiked back up the river (we came full circle to the bridge and headed back up the hill) and Rogers found a stable with a horse in it. So we hung out there for a while! Then we kept hiking a while longer till finally we found a sort of park/pool area on the river and we rested and ate our lunch. Then we headed back to the house.

Janie took a shower to clean up her scrapes. I spoke with Rogers (she's in school to be a nurse) about what we might try to do for her cuts and wrist (she couldn't really move it much) then I went and talked with Josh (who is considering becoming a Dr.) and Connor (who brought essential oils from home). I ended up going upstairs with a handful of supplies from all of us. Janie came out of the shower at the perfect time.

In the end we used:
Ice pack,
Bandana,
Tweezers,
Needle,
Tea Tree oil,
Bandaids,

Then it was my turn to take a shower, then I made another round of coffee for our Fearless Leader's Minions. Janie saved some of the coffee for a cake she wanted to make for the team. Then Connor started a game of Movie soundtracks. He would play a theme from a movie and we'd have to guess what it was, person with the most points wins.

Rogers and I chilled on the porch waiting for Jenn to arrive, and I see that one of the trees in our yard has fruit on it. I ran over and climbed the hill (these are seriously steep hills) and gathered 3 of the fruit. Patrick and Emanuel said they were guava. It was very interesting.

Just as I pull of the THIRD batch of coffee of the day, we get a call that they are almost home. Jenn, Terri, Tomás, and Mr. R arrived home with groceries and were a bit disappointed that they hadn't called earlier to tell me to start coffee for them to have, I let them know that coffee was ready, they all perked up. It was cute.

As groceries were put away, dishes were done, and Tomás made dinner. We all chilled on the lawn and climbed a hill to sing and dance. Jenn joins us and just not even 2 hours after joining us she's bitten by a couple dozen ants. BUT, in typical Jenn fashion she stays with the group to take a Slow Mo jump video. She is allergic to the ants, so thus began another medical intervention of the day. She rushes to the shower, takes allergy medication, we all prayed for her, and we applied Tea Tree oil on all the bites, and she laid down till dinner.

We had a I Thessalonians Study. Then all of us went to bed, the girls had a great talk, before we crawled into bed. Josh stayed up late playing guitar and we loved falling asleep to it.


love,
Jessie Bear

John 12:46
"I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. "

1 comment:

  1. Hey, yo! It's been like for days. I wanna know what you've been doin...

    Live you girl.

    ReplyDelete