Thursday, February 18, 2016

Goals for 2016

The goals I have for this year may seem either too small or too big, that's okay! That's why they are my goals. I've prayed and thought long and hard over each of them and none of them are new goals in my life. Each of these has either been on my mind or has been slowly gaining ground in practice for a long time. Some of them are big goals for me some are easily reached but I wanted both to be here for a specific purpose.

If my goals are all too hard to finish then I will end the year with a sense of defeat.
If my goals are all too easy and offer no challenge for my intellect or body then upon completion there is no victory.
By mixing a combination of both I will have small victories to motivate me to the larger victories. You see?

A play on the phrase from Andy Mineo...

Not to just rock the boat,
I mean to sink it,

To walk on the water,
Dance on the waves,

That's my 2016 goal.
What's your's?


This year I refuse to fear failure.

I will fall.

I will mess it all up.

I will come up short.

I will fail.
But that will not be the end.

I've revised how I will set goals. I've tried to make them bigger yet more attainable. Thinking of an oxymoron? You'll see.

Writing - 150,000 words

In my writing I have set a goal of 150,000 words blogged. Those words will be any that end up on a published post that I author, either here or on other blogs.

Minimalist - reform all things to needed and enjoyed

I love the concept of minimalism. Living with only the things that are needed and enjoyed. This applies to much more than just "stuff", but covers social media, people, responsibilities (not talking about shirking on your jobs, but only taking on responsibilities that make sense, not over exstending yourself when it's not smart!), and how I think. Don't worry, I'll be talking more on this topic.

Cross Country - regular runs and a big race

I would love to be even more regular with running, so my goal is at least two times a week I'll be hitting the road and trails for good runs. Also this year, I want to run a race, a timed event. I now have some proper running shoes, a team, and I've got heart to run harder this year than last year.

Be healthier - small and steady

I'll be working on setting up a bed time for myself. That may seem odd for a 24 year old to have a bed time, but it isn't rather it is wisdom. Also, I am starting my morning routine, and I hope to be sharing that with you soon. Lastly on this list, I want to be doing yoga about 3 times a week in the morning maybe right after my runs.

Penmanship - Improvement

I love to write! Obviously, as this blog is evidence of that. But I really like to write with my pen and pencil. With going to the University of Central Oklahoma this fall, note taking on paper or my computer will be very important. Style, structure, speed, and note taking styles are things I'm hoping to work on in this endeavor. I am looking for ways to improve my penmanship this year, so if you have any suggestions...please let me know!

Music - Instrumentation and Technique

I am playing in the UCO Horn Choir under the direction of Dr. Peggy Moran, it's the highlight of my horn career thus far. I love it! So naturally I aim to work on my horn this year. Yet, I do not want to fail to play the other instruments that I have skill with, thus I have a goal to keep up with my flute and trombone this year.

Faith - Dig Deep

This is listed last but is far from being least important. It is the most important goal actually. I aim to read more Scripture and to dig into it deeper. Submit to the will of the Lord no matter the personal cost. I want to be known as someone who prays. Also, I need to be meditating on the Word more every day.

So, these are my goals. What are yours?


"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him."
James 1:2-5

No comments:

Post a Comment