Thursday, November 14, 2013

NaNoWriMo Day 14 - Procrastination

Hi NaNos,

This is me admitting that I procrastinate.

By Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary, Procrastination is defined as "PROCRASTINA'TION, n. [L. procrastinatio. ]A putting off to a future time; delay; dilatoriness."

Practically speaking, it means that I put off doing things, because I am undisciplined (slothful and lazy) that means I choose to be unwise with my time management.

I allow things to become more important than they should be, and therefore reorganize my priorities when not in a proper mindset. By doing this, I sabotage my own efficiency, integrity, and reputation.

Did you know that your procrastinating could do that?

Maybe, but maybe you'd not thought that far on it.

Do not put off things that need done. If it needs done, do it. If it has a place, put it there. Maintain order in your life. Order is important, because God is a God of order, not chaos.

What does all this have to do with NaNoWriMo?

Well, you see, when you get behind on your work, it can be discouraging, and you may lose heart, and then you are prone to give up. The best way to prevent this downfall, is to NOT procrastinate, and not get behind. But sometimes life doesn't play along with our plans. So, maybe it was unavoidable to miss a couple days, and now you're behind, and not sure you can catch up.

Yes, you can!! You can do this! *

First, realize you can't get those moments back. This is the hardest thing for me, I struggle sometimes realizing I can't change the past (be it a big mistake, or simply forgetting about something I missed on my errand run). But rest in knowing God is in control, once you believe that, then you can rest in His sovereignty! It's awesome!

Now, just move on. It's time to get busy, and run with it! You've got plenty of time to make up the word count. Even if you started with 0 words today, then you only need to be writing 3,125 words a day. At a typing speed of 30 words per minute that is less than 2 hours of solid writing! So, don't lose heart! Keep going.

Also, if NaNo is important to you, then commit to it. Let those around you know about it, and that you are committed to finishing. This helps them to know why you may not play as many games, or spend as much free time with them this month. It will also help you, by knowing those around you know, you can be less worried of offending them or shutting them out. They know! They can survive without you for a few days. ;-)

So, keep going, you can do this!

Romans 12:2
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

No comments:

Post a Comment