Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Run a 5k/Jawbone UP 24/get fit

7 - Run a 5k/Jawbone UP 24/get fit

Talking with my best friend always means ideas will grow and plans will escalate. Last year as I began to tell her of my hopes for a "23 goals for my 23rd year" it went from a passive idea to a challenge.
What does this project look like?
If I start - Will I finish?
Will I make good on promises?
Can I actually commit to something this big?
What sort of time commitment will be required?
There were many questions brought up and honestly, at the time, I didn't know if I could do it. But I believed I should try.

Don't give up on your dreams because they are hard or take a long time...
...the time will pass anyway.

So onwards!

My original plan for this one was: Run 1 Mile
That was the goal for the whole year because it was something I thought I could never surpass. I have cross country friends who do 4-6 miles a day...I thought they were insane!

Until I broke a mile...
I ran my first full mile in February, and continued to improve my time throughout the month.

April 2 I ran with my coach and set my record time at 12:07.

Then I realized I needed to make a better goal, something that would be a REAL challenge.

My challenge no longer is limited to running, but rather a more encompassing full body fitness.

I decided to add other things to my running routine.
April - 30 day Burpees Challenge (8 days in...my opinion: burpees are a cruel and awful torture)

If I survive either I'll do it again or find another work out to add. My overarching goal is not a number on a scale, or jean size, or a specific shape, but rather my goal is to be physically fit. To be a good steward of the body that God gave me and to be able to fully enjoy life.

So now I am faced with upping my own goals, it's a satisfying problem to have. So now my new goal: Run a 5k in under 30 minutes (possibly running an "Adventure Race" like a Spartan Race or the like...maybe next year...)

Hebrews 12:1-2
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."


Comment with YOUR fitness goals and how you plan to accomplish them!

No comments:

Post a Comment