Sunday, January 11, 2015

Caffeine Addiction

4 - No caffeine

Yes, just as it sounds. I will drink no caffeine this year. There maybe cause for it at times and in those situations I will be judicious, but as my general rule. No caffeine this year.

To start with a confession: when I began working at Starbucks, my caffeine addiction wasn't terrible, it wasn't good, but it wasn't something I worried about. Not anything against Starbucks, but when I was given free coffee, my caffeine intake skyrocketed. To the point where a day with a "normal" person's* intake of caffeine just didn't cut it, I'd get a bad headache.

So, start of the new year, I stopped drinking caffeine. It was awful. Withdrawal is awful. The headache is bad. It's just all around a bad deal.

For the record, 11 days in and I still get headaches some days, including today.

So, what keeps me from drinking caffeine again? My motivation is to be healthier. Knowing that nothing worth doing is easy to do. Determination has been my biggest strength. My plan is that I will not be ruled by any substance even something as "innocent" as coffee.


More on food addictions coming soon!

Do you have a habit you are getting off? What are your secrets?



*No, I have no clue what a normal person's coffee intake is. Only that even drinking a mere 2-3 cups of coffee wasn't enough to avoid a headache.
Cut back on coffee? Okay! I'll have just one cup then.



For the CDO out there...I'm sorry that I didn't start at 1 for you, but occasionally my spontaneity eclipses my desire for structure. So this post was published first.

No comments:

Post a Comment