Thursday, January 2, 2014

To The New Year - Things to do this year (Part 2 of 7)

So, we all enjoy doing things that make us happy, feel satisfied, and at least most of us will enjoy making other's smile. Thus, today's post. These are things that you can do that will grow you and maybe make someone else's day that much brighter.

Things to do

- Hand Made Gifts -
Maybe you are a crafty person! DIY things are very cool gifts! I made my Momma a decorated trashcan for her sewing table using an empty oatmeal canister.
Maybe you are not crafty, but wish you were. Well my dear, there are a bunch of tutorials out there…google some things and have at it! Maybe this year, birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, or personalized cards will be hand made by you.

I know as someone who has received such gifts, it's a very special way of being told that someone loves you enough to spend the time in making something for you with their hands.

- Learn to Crochet/Knit -
YAY! Now that I've convinced you to make something, knitting or crocheting something is a simple project, and is something that can be used to create quite intricate and complex patterns. With this you can make everything from pot holders, coasters, washrags, to table runners to clothing!

You can listen to music, talk, watch TV, take your projects on vacation, or just about anything you want to do!

Enjoy your projects!

- Volunteer -
This year make a point to do things purposefully benefiting someone else. Volunteer your time and resources and expect nothing in return!

Maybe babysit for free for your best friend to on a date with her husband.
Teach a class at church.
Volunteer to take meals to the couple who just had their baby.

- Do your best work. Always -
I'm not arguing that your boss is a nice guy, actually he might just make your life a nightmare! But do your best. Get your work done well. Get your tasks done on time. Honor your boss.

Your performance is noticed.

- Stay in touch with loved ones -
Life gets hectic sometimes, I know. I'm a college student. I know somewhat of insanity. But there is always time to send a text, email, write a letter, call, or something to tell a friend we remember that they exist and that we haven't actually died yet.
It's a wonder that I didn't die of insomnia as a freshman, but I survived…and my friends remember that I would still take time to send them "I love you" messages.

I treasure the cards, letters, and memories of when THEY would take time out of their crazy lives and remind me that they loved me and I am special to them.

This year, commit to loving your family and friends more than you love watching the game and more than you love falling asleep in a pile of novels.

- 10 People. 10 Blessings. -
Ever had a awful day, and God does something special to remind you that He's still right there with you?

I love to see people smile, and I love to tell people that Jesus Christ is REAL! So when I think about it, I buy people dinner. Once I was on a date with my Daddy, and a homeless man came to our table asking for a quarter. Daddy didn't have change with him, and so the man walked away. I followed him and discovered, he had all the money needed for his dinner…except the quarter. He saw me standing beside him, and while I couldn't give him a quarter, I told the two people he was trying to purchase his meal from, and told them I would be paying for his order.

You see, that is not my generosity, that is God's love and mercy that He has put into me, and He uses to minister to people through me.

That is the giving side of it. But what's it like on the receiving side? I've had complete strangers pay for my food and it's just stunning, I'd never expect a person I don't know to come purposely choose to buy my dinner. It's a beautiful thing, and it reminds me of God's faithfulness.

So, what can you do to bless 10 people this year?

Buy the meal of the person behind you at the drive-thru.
Baby sit for free.
Send someone a special card.
Take someone hunting.

What will you do? Please comment with ideas! This one excites me to see what you will do this year!

- Unplug -
I doubt it shocks anyone anymore when they look around and most people are engrossed with some screen. I mean, I get excited when I see someone reading a book, like you know, with paper and ink in it!
But what is wonderfully shocking…is when someone unplugs themselves and spends time away from their desk and electronics!

Maybe make it your goal this year to unplug one day a week. Spend that day reading, or hiking, or just being around people you love. Maybe pick up a game in your new found time?


Ephesians 6:5-9
"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free. Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him."

No comments:

Post a Comment