Wednesday, January 1, 2014

To the New Year - Writing Goals (Part 1 of 7)

So this is the first of my New Years posts….day one of 2014 seemed like the time to do it.

I'm sure many of you know those who have "new years resolutions". It tends to be promises they do not keep, such as:

An impossible weight-loss plan.
Impractical financial goals.
Insane travel itineraries.

Most people don't keep their new years resolutions because it starts without much thought, it just is "something you do". It's so easy to find a bunch of things you would like to do, and then try them all, and thus bite off too much to chew.

Here is my advice, for what it is worth. If you would like to make a goal, first pray about it, don't just jump onto it because it's a good idea. Take some time to think about what you want to do and look over your schedule to see if it will work, then revisit the idea and be sure that it furthers your goals to look more like Christ. Sometimes we need to say NO to making new goals that we might accomplish the things we've already committed to, and this is wisdom. Sometimes we need to say YES to new things that God might stretch and grow us, pushing us far from our comfort zone that we might shine all the brighter for His glory. So, here are some idea's that I've put together, maybe some would benefit you.

NOTES
- Many ideas here were thought of by my friends, and a few friends donated their valued time to write about their ideas.
- Goals that *I*, personally, will be doing for the FIRST time this year, are titled in italics.

Writing Goals

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
~ Benjamin Franklin
- Write a Blog -
When you think of blogs, you may think of a blogger Mom who seems to post way too often, or maybe a nature blog that gives overly detailed information about the black Jaguar's genetic coding….and you are not interested in writing a obsessive political blog or maybe you don't have the time to commit to posting an award winning photograph every single day for the next year. If you think blogs take time, you would be RIGHT. It is an investment of your time and energy.

Writing a blog is an investment, it is a worthy one.

I prayed about a blog for nearly three years before I went ahead with the venture. I knew what sort of blog I wanted to write, one that encouraged Christians and displayed my faith, but I knew that the "when" I began was very important. I spoke with many friends who are bloggers, and I interviewed them with several questions about the practical reasons, benefits, and problems with blogging, as well as why they blogged. I took my time in growing my purpose for this blog, it took over a year for the title to evolve to it's current state, and it was it's own outward display of inward spiritual beliefs.

So, all that to say:
- take your time in doing this, but do it.
- it's okay to grow ideas as you go along.
- it's an investment of effort and time.
- it's going to display to the world what you believe, so know what you believe.

I have blogged with both Blogger and WordPress and both are good sources. Blogger is a much simpler platform, and WordPress is a more professional platform. I prefer Blogger for the simplicity of it.

I hope you start up a blog this year! If you do please post a link to your blog in the comment section of this post!


- NaNoWriMo -
Maybe you are already a writer of novels, blog posts, essays, papers, maybe you've already written your dissertation! If you enjoy pressing deadlines, losing sleep without getting paid for it, and the satisfaction of seeing your story come to life…NaNoWriMo might be what you've been waiting for.

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month (November). It is a writing challenge, lasting 30 intense days, where you have the chance to write 50,000 words of fiction! If you succeed and accomplish this lofty goal, you will be rewarded with being a champion and victor! Winner's have the chance of having their completed novels published.

I've done NaNoWriMo, and it's a LOT of fun! This last year I was unable to participate, so I wrote some tips and ideas for the NaNos here.

If you want to do it, but aren't sure exactly how to prepare for it, try this challenge.

I hope you get the chance to compete some year! It really is a ton of fun!


- Journal -
This is something that I believe everyone ought to do. If God has given you the blessing of knowing how to write, then you ought to write. If you've never considered journalling, I propose the idea as a noble one. God commanded the Israelites to make markers of His blessings and Providence in their history, this was that in times of trial they might remember His enduring faithfulness. Journalling can do the same thing in your own life.

Personally, I am not a faithful journaller, I do it in random spurts when I think about it. But I will say this, when I look back at my writing I can see God's hand in my life, constantly growing me, and I can watch my faith deepen. It is incredibly encouraging to have the ability to look back and see where I was and where I am today.

Journalling is a way of getting thoughts out of my mind. I'm a word person, my mind gets so full of thoughts that it gets hard to think with so many thoughts going at the same time! But when I write them out, I have the chance to organize them, and then once they are out, it is much quieter in my head, and I can go about my day with more patience and thoughtfulness.

If you aren't sure about this idea, remember journalling can be just about anything! Maybe you can write one sentence each day, or if you are a prolific writer you will write more. Maybe you could make each Sunday a "recap of the week" sort of day! Or, every trip you go on, take your notebook and document where you go and what you see. I do that, and always think of the Lewis and Clark.

Maybe getting a pretty journal would be fun.

Journal topics:
- Journey to eating healthier
- Vacation memories
- Favorite moments
- Thought of the day
- Scripture commentary
- Prayer

During the fall of 2013 I began my adventure to a healthier lifestyle, and went out and bought the biggest bright pink journal (400 pages!) I could find, and I began to write in it all my successes and failures as my journey began.

So, your journal is not relegated to some boring topic, just write what interests you!

- Hand Written Letters-
Maybe this is old school, but it's one of the sweetest things me and my friends do, in my opinion. There are few things that brighten a day like checking the mail and finding a precious hand written letter from my friends.

A hand written letter means my friend sat down, took time out of her day, thought her words through, and patiently wrote her thoughts out for me. It's totally different than an email or text. I can write a text while walking through Wallyworld…I can type up a few hundred words in an email in a few minutes and keep going in stride. BUT…hand writing a letter to a friend. I have to pause all other life, I seek out quiet, I slow down my thoughts, I pour my heart into that envelope. I lick the glue to seal the letter, I place the stamp, write the addresses, then somewhere on the envelope I write "Psalm 103".

My day is so bright when I get a letter! And it's satisfying to flip up the mail boxes flag when I put a letter in the mail, knowing in a few days I would make a special friend's day brighter.

If you have never been one to send "snail mail", I encourage you to start! It's a lost art! If you write a few letters every now and then, please write more! So much love goes into each letter, and it's certainly felt when your recipient opens and reads your letter, it's  beautiful thing!

- Jar of Memories -
So, last year I saw an idea online, about writing little notes about good, fun, happy, exciting, etc. things that happened throughout the year, and putting them each in a jar. So that at the end of the year, I could open them all up and see the blessings that God had given to me through the year. Maybe you could think of it as journalling meets "message in a bottle" idea.
I enjoyed it and thought it was fun, maybe you might like to do it this year.


How ever you all go about the year, do it with vigor!


Colossians 3:16-17

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

1 comment:

  1. Blogging, Journaling, Hand Written Letters...happy spots in my days and reminders of my faithful Lord. Totally worth considering if you don't already do them. :)

    ReplyDelete