Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Dating Jesus?

In the past, I've struggled to know when should I take time out in my day to read my Bible. It had also been a struggle to me to let go of my pride to ask fellow Christians questions. I finally asked my Sisters some questions about their own time to read and pray. I got various responses and it made me curious. Some would read very early in the day, some later, and some later yet.

Then this past year, I heard some people talking about "dating Jesus". I was baffled. Dating Jesus? That's odd. That's not biblical. That's dangerous to the soul. Dating Jesus? What a strange and perverted idea that was to me.

I can't date the God of the universe. I can't date and dump the Saviour of the world. I can't love and leave the One who came to make me new.

I didn't want to believe what I'd heard of, people "trying-out" Jesus. Maybe they thought that Jesus is someone they could try-out. But Christ is not someone they could just date and toss out. That whole thought process is wrong, because with Jesus it's all or nothing. He doesn't do things half way, and those He has ransomed should imitate that.

Now, I am not perfect, and I make mistakes, this isn't me saying that I get it all right, or that this is exactly how you should live. I am only saying what I do and what I understand.

Jesus Christ is the lover of my soul. Christ is the Bridegroom of the Church.

Jesus loves me so much He died for me, He took my sin away, and purchased me. He washed me clean and makes me new. I am redeemed. He has love for me bigger than the world, and deeper than the oceans.

I love Jesus too. I want to know Him and be with Him. So, I have a time and place that I go to, so that I can meet Him.

I meet with Him, just us, alone and private, so quiet that the  birds still sleep and the moon shines gently. I meet the lover of my soul there, same place, same time each morning.

It's quiet and dark outside, and inside everyone is sleeping, except me and Jesus.

I don't date Jesus. I'm already His, and He is already mine!

To just "date" Jesus would not be honoring His sacrifice as it should be honored, I'm not to just "try-out" Christ, but I'm to be absolutely committed to Him. There is no "what-if" clause in our relationship, because our relationship is sealed by God.

I am fully committed to Him, and our time together is far more than a date.

I come to worship Him, study Him, and learn from Him.

He is my Morning Song!

Psalm 108:1-2
"My heart is steadfast, O God!
I will sing and make melody with all my being!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
I will awake the dawn!"

No comments:

Post a Comment